My desire to create something new

 I'm constantly looking to expand my horizon when it comes to displaying my work. I find photography in this digital world we live in severely lacking in a tactile element. We're so screen based nowadays that I think people tend to forget what it’s like to engage with a piece of art in the flesh. In my search to find new ways of presenting my work I came across screen printing and it opened up a whole realm of new possibilities. Currently I’ve only taken one class on screen printing but I’m hooked, it was exactly what I needed to jump start my creative mind again after being in a rut of no new ideas and a lack of inspiration. With screen printing I can see myself pushing the boundaries of what I ever thought possible with my work. I always thought photography was going to be my main way of expressing myself but I now see it's just one tool in my toolbox, as well as screen printing. I’m now no longer limited to a printer and paper, but I can burn my screens and print on a multitude of surfaces. Being that you are pulling thick ink through a mesh screen looking at it up close has a very painterly, handmade feel to it. I look forward to experimenting and sharing the process along the way.

Comments

Popular Posts