Multiple Exposure Experiments

I remember discovering the multiple exposure function on my camera having never heard of or seen a multiple exposure photograph. I had some idea of what it was though, multiple exposure is pretty self explanatory but I had no idea the creative potential. For the entire summer my camera never left that setting, I shot everything with multiple exposures. I mean everything.



Every shot was an experiment, I never knew what was going to pop up on the back of the camera. Most of the time it was either a completely black or white screen. After a few thousands of these experiments I understood how to stack the photos in a way created depth, texture, line in a way I had never seen before. After a few thousand more I developed almost, dare I say; a style.



I was immediately drawn to these really contrasty compositions I could create where a normal straight photograph would look awful. Most of all I enjoyed the balance of the compositions. Years after these photos were taken I was introduced to the japanese design principal of notan. Notan focuses on the balance of light and dark elements in art, most famously represented in the yin and yang symbol. After learning about notan these photos took on a whole new meaning.



Comments

Popular Posts